Friday, December 10, 2004

Starving in Clapham

Too much time in a confined space is never good for anyone. Especially when the confined space doesn't have cold beer, loud music and the company of others. So, after a couple of days sitting around the house, I headed off into Clapham this afternoon to 'do lunch' with my housemate, an attempt to start the Friday night partying early, and get a bit of fresh air in the process...

First stop, Circle Bar on Clapham Road. I should have known it would be a disaster, given that the last time I went there I couldn't even work out how to open the door. Anyway, it's supposed to have a loyal Clapham chique following, and since I was wearing clean socks, I thought I'd splash out. 'Time Out Recommends' stickers cover the window, and inside it's got a nice vibe, all raw wood and random leather sofas. No one else about, but it was 3 in the afternoon, so fair enough. We sat ourselves down, ordered drinks, and then asked to see the menu. No can do, apparently. Stopped serving food at 2:30.

Bugger.

Still, it's a nice bar, we have a quiet drink, I ponder renting the upstairs room for some imaginary future function, and we head out onto the street again.

Second stop, The Clapham North. A beautiful bar, really love it, complete with excessively copious armchairs and ultra-relaxed chillout music, with just a hint of St. Germain. Nice. Same story though, get in, sit down, get a drink, then go to order food, and they've stopped serving.

Does no one eat after two o'clock round here? Jesus. Had a pint, stumbled on the faulty wooden flooring, and went home hungry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home