Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Soundtrack to your Valentine’s Misery

Happy Valentine’s. No, seriously, hope you’re having a good day. I’m having a reasonably ok one, and am far from the depths of despair that the title of this post might suggest.

That said, I was woken up this morning by the most beautiful, mournful, heart-wrenching song I’ve ever heard, which seemed perfectly appropriate on Valentines Day. It was ‘I Want You’ by Elvis Costello. There’s something about the middle section that is so shot through with pain, and his voice cracks on one of the notes… pure melodramatic genius.

Probably worth saying a massive thanks to Phil Jupitus for choosing Costello as the first song of his breakfast show on BBC 6Music this morning. I like to be shocked and/or confused at least once before breakfast, and Jupitus usually manages to deliver…

Anyway, that was all I wanted to say. Am now off to hopefully have a much more pleasant evening than the narrator of that song. But if it all goes pear-shaped, I’ve got it on standby…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home